Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Food for Thought—Edible Flowers

The herb garden in a pot that I mentioned on Tuesday is about to have some company. This summer I’ve decided to plant a variety of edible flowers, and I’ve decided to start with nasturtiums and pansies.

I think they’ll be great for adding color to salads and other dishes, and I found a great snack suggestion. Spread cream cheese on a slice of bread and “decorate” it with pansy petals. Yum.

Another suggestion is to freeze the flowers in an ice ring and use it in a punch bowl. I’ll have to plan a summer patio party so I have an excuse to try it!

Over the next few weeks I’ll be researching recipes, so the next few "Friday Food for Thought" segments will be all about edible flowers. If you have a favorite edible flower and/or a recipe to use it in, please share it.

Until next time,
Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twice I've had wonderful Herbes de Provence blends from France: rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and so on. Divine!

The most recent batch I bought at a Canadian grocery store contains lavender as well – it smells even better!


Rachel

Lee McKenzie said...

The herb blends sound wonderful. What do you use them for?

I love the scent of lavender! This winter I bought a bag of food-grade lavender and put some in rice-bag neck warmers that I made for Christmas gifts. I also filled sachets to tuck into drawers, and made a batch of lavender/lemon shortbread. Delicious!