Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Fun—Inspiration

Some writers do storyboards and collages for the books they write, and I envy them that. That process has always intrigued me and I've considered doing it but have just never set aside the time.

I do look for things that inspire my writing, though, and I keep various things on and around my desk that help keep me in the moment while I'm writing, help with adding details to scenes, and so on.

So I thought I would share a couple of images I used while writing Firefighter Daddy—specifically Rory's bridesmaid dress and shoes. The dress I had in mind wasn't identical to this one but it was very similar.

Rory's strappy, sparkly shoes, however, were exactly like these!

I think they're gorgeous, even though my feet hurt just looking at them.

And of course Mitch liked them too. A lot!

Happy reading!

Until next time,
Lee

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I've just picked up my copy of Firefighter Daddy, Lee, and I can't wait to find out what happens with? to? in? those shoes!

Lee McKenzie said...

LOL, Rachel! Thanks for buying the book. I hope you enjoy it.

Marin Thomas said...

Lee

what a great post--inspiration! I need more of it my office. Maybe a life-size statue of a hunky cowboy.

Marin
RT Top Pick
Dexter:Honorable Cowboy July 2010

Lee McKenzie said...

You'll either be inspired...or completely distracted, Marin!

Bonnie Edwards said...

Hi Lee,
I don't use a lot of visual cues to keep me on track with stories. I never cut out pictures of heroes/heroines to stick up on my wall.

I also don't use storyboards (I probably should!) and rarely use post it notes.

Organization when it comes to my stories isn't a strength of mine, I guess.

While I can't listen to music while I write, I do keep some lyrics in my head which help me with a particular passage of dialogue or a mood in a scene.

We all work so differently!

And I LOVE those shoes!

Bonnie

Jodie Esch said...

Wow! Some shoes. I used to like high heels - but haven't worn them in years.

I always like hearing what strategies keep writers focused.

Lee McKenzie said...

We each have our own process, Bonnie, no doubt about it.

I would like to be one of those writers who makes beautiful collages or storyboards, but I'm afraid I'd never get real writing done if I let myself go down that road.

I do sometimes use magazine pics to represent a character, but only if I find something that works. I don't go looking for them.

Lee McKenzie said...

I adore those shoes, Jodie! Couldn't wear them, though.