Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Food for Thought—A Very Grown-up Dessert

I recently came across this recipe in a magazine and of course I had to try it.

Blackberries in Champagne

1 quart fresh blackberries
2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
1 cup chilled sparkling white wine
fresh tarragon or mint
Wash the blackberries, put them in a medium-sized bowl, sprinkle with sugar and toss. Pour the wine over the berries, give a gentle stir and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide the berries and bubbly among four dessert dishes and garnish with a sprig of fresh tarragon or mint.

Super easy, very elegant, and a light and lovely dessert to finish off an adult dinner party.

Be creative with dessert dishes. Small fruit nappies are an obvious choice, but footed sherbet glasses would be great, as would large-ish brandy snifters, as long as the opening is large enough to comfortably accommodate a spoon.

The recipe I saw called for tarragon but I think mint works better. I haven’t tried this with raspberries or strawberries, but I’m sure either would work just as well.

Enjoy!

Until next time,
Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, what a lovely idea, Lee. With fresh blackberries in the yard and a mini bottle of Henkell Trocken in the fridge, I'm definitely going to try this out. I may have to forego the tarragon or mint, but I'm sure I'll survive. Thanks for this!

Lee McKenzie said...

Enjoy, Susan! This one could almost become a habit ;)