Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday News—Deadlines and Distractions

I’m in writing mode this week, madly working toward my July 31 deadline. On one hand I love the final push to get a book whipped into shape. On the other, I’ll be jubilant when it’s finished.

To keep myself sane and to prevent my shoulders and neck from seizing up, I’ve been taking little breaks to do gardening and housework. Of course I also need breaks to check email, and to periodically surf the net.

Yesterday I came across a blog with a photo of a cactus chair. Its formal title is “Prickly Chair” by designer Valentina Gonzalez Wohlers.

I love the humor and whimsy and the fun color combo. And although it would not work in my space, I would be drawn to sit in it if I saw it someplace else.

Or so I thought, until I saw this close-up.

If you go back and take a closer look at the first photo, you’ll see the seat is also prickly. This chair is obviously all about design and nothing about function, and that’s okay because it works.

And now it's time for me to work and function, whether by design or not.

Until next time,
Lee

8 comments:

Megan Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! I thought the same thing -- cute chair. But I didn't realize it was a torture device! I'm too distracted and should be nose-to-grindstone. Thanks for the reminder, Lee. Back to work for me too.

Lee McKenzie said...

Joining you at the grindstone, Megan.

I laughed at your comment about the chair being a torture device. I'm pretty sure even my cats wouldn't sit on that one.

Anonymous said...

love the chair, Lee, and your enthusiasm at first glance and subsequent disillusionment. The cactus chair might put visitors off. Maybe it would be useful for that. And as a conversation piece. And as a 'design statement' to express the personality of the designer. In designerspeak, 'every room needs a focus'--fireplaces that don't burn, flowers that don't smell, chairs that don't seat...
Thanks for the laugh, Marion

Anita Birt said...

I loved the chair and the colours until you posted the side view. I'll pass on that one.

I'm glad you are working hard, head down and bum up, as they say. Deadlines are great to keep a writer's brain from wandering. Stay cool. Walk around the garden.

Lee McKenzie said...

Marion wrote:
In designerspeak, 'every room needs a focus'--fireplaces that don't burn, flowers that don't smell, chairs that don't seat...

Thanks for this, Marion :)

I'd love to see a room that had this chair as a focal point!

Lee McKenzie said...

You're so right about deadlines, Anita! Thanks for dropping by.

Jodie Esch said...

Good grief! I loved the colours but sure wouldn't want one in my home.

Yikes! Have a great writing week.

Jodie Esch

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Jodie! So far it's a good week on the writing front.

As for the chair, the more I look at it, the more I like it. Prickles and all :)