Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Food for Thought—Farm-fresh Caesar Salad

I only made it to one farmers’ market this week but still came home with a big bagful of fresh veggies, including a bunch of carrots with the tops still attached (guaranteed fresh!), tomatoes, cucumbers, a pint of juicy, plant-ripened strawberries, and a head of romaine lettuce.

The romaine made a delicious Caesar salad. I even made my own croutons and dressing. I start by marinating a thinly sliced clove of garlic in about 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil. The longer it marinates, the better.

Cut several slices of french bread into cubes, then heat a tablespoon of the garlicy oil in a skillet and saute the bread in it. The croutons can be seasoned if you like, but I prefer them plain.

Fill a bowl with romaine lettuce leaves that have been washed and torn into bite-sized pieces. Add the croutons and toss.

A traditional Caesar dressing is made right in the bowl over the lettuce, but I whisk mine in a separate bowl and then add as much as I need.

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
freshly ground black, to taste
4 to 5 drops Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons white vinegar
6 tablespoons garlic oil, minus the garlic
1 egg
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Note: because the egg is eaten raw, I wash the shell with soap and warm water before I crack it open.

Whisk the dressing ingredients together, in the order listed. Pour over lettuce and croutons, and toss. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

Until next time,
Lee

No comments: