Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Fun—Pink Depression Glass

Thirty years ago my grandmother gave me a pink depression glass sugar bowl. It may or may not have had a lid, and I assume the creamer (if she even had one) had been broken years earlier.


I love the look of old depression glass and it goes nicely with my old-fashioned “Blossom Time” china. The pattern of this depression glass is sometimes called “Sharon,” but it’s also known as “Cabbage Rose.” I like the latter name best.

I don’t remember my grandmother ever using the sugar bowl as a sugar bowl, probably because there was no creamer to go with it, but I remember her using it to serve the cranberry sauce at turkey dinners. After she gave it to me, the cranberry tradition has lived on.

Although it does a splendid job of serving up cranberry sauce, I’ve always kept an eye out for a creamer to match. This week I found one!


My grandmother’s sugar-bowl-slash-cranberry-server now has a companion, and I’m thinking a tea party would be a great way to celebrate. Anyone for a cuppa?

Until next time,
Lee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great find, Lee! It's so much fun to come across these treasures unexpectedly.

Rachel

Lee McKenzie said...

I'm especially pleased because I found the creamer in a consignment shop instead of an antique store. That was reflected in the price, I'm happy to say!

Jodie Esch said...

I love the look of old chinaware, and have pieces from my Grandmother and my Mom.
And quite frankly, I use them often. And every time I do, I think of them.
I was pleased to see your photos and glad to hear about how happy they make you feel.

Lee McKenzie said...

Jodie, I cherish the things that have been passed down to me and, like you, I love to use them.

My grandparents received a set of china as a wedding gift (c. 1930). Much of it was broken over the years, but my family ended up with two dinner plates and a serving platter. Thanks to eBay, I was able to reconstruct a lovely dinner service.

Hm. Maybe I'll blog about it someday :)