Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Sunday Brunch

Instead of a big dinner tomorrow, my family is doing brunch. I love brunch because most of it can be prepared in advance. Like the baked French toast (recipe follows) that I’ll make tonight, put in the fridge, and pop in the oven tomorrow. I’ll also serve locally made, organic breakfast sausages, a fresh fruit platter, applesauce cupcakes, and coffee and tea. And mimosas.

Make-ahead Baked French Toast

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
8 one-inch-thick slices French bread
4 eggs
1/2 cup light cream (10%)
1/2 cup milk
1/ 4 cup orange juice

Spread the melted butter in a 9" by 13" baking pan. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle half the mixture in the pan. Arrange the bread slices in the pan. You might have to squish them a bit, but make sure they don’t overlap.

Beat the eggs, then add the cream, milk and orange juice. Slowly and carefully pour this mixture over the bread, being sure the bread is evenly coated.

Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, remove the plastic wrap from the pan, and bake the French toast for about 25 minutes. Delicious when served with maple syrup and fruit compote.
I hope you have a wonderful Easter!

Until next time,
Lee

2 comments:

Mary Curry said...

Oh, Lee! This looks very tempting and I think I actually have all the ingredients - even the French Bread leftover from tonight's dinner.

Lee McKenzie said...

Happy Easter, MaryC! If you do have a chance to make this French toast recipe, I hope you'll let me know how it turned out.