Pages

Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Food for Thought—Pumpkins

One of my favorite fall things is a field full of bright-orange pumpkins. A close second is the big pumpkin-filled bin in front of the grocery store.



In keeping with this I’m doing pumpkin recipes this month. For starters, here’s a nice, tasty, quick-to-make soup recipe.

Pumpkin Bean Soup

2 cups pumpkin puree (canned or make your own)
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 15-ounce can white beans (kidney, navy, etc.)
1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 lime, cut into wedges

Combine the pumpkin, coconut milk, broth and sage in a saucepan and heat until just boiling. Add the beans (drained and rinsed), reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cracked pepper and serve with lime wedges. Makes four servings.

Enjoy!

Until next time,
Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, Lee, this sounds awesome. A soup to add to my collection of recipes.

Sheryll

Lee McKenzie said...

I hope you enjoy it, Sheryll. When I first saw this recipe, I wasn't sure about the coconut milk. Now I'm so glad I gave it try.